Awards & Community Involvement
On top of working on the direct activities of the Foundation, Fabienne Colas also sits on a number of boards, attends festivals and events as a speaker or guest of honour, supports many initiatives, and contributes to many fundraising campaigns for various social, humanitarian, community and cultural causes. The following are just some of her many charitable involvements :
A few awards and distinctions
- Canada’s Top 40 under 40 Award – June 2018
- Lauréate du Gala Femmes en Cinéma, Télévision et Média Numériques (FCTMN) – May 2018
- 2017 Harry Jerome Arts Award – Toronto, April 2017
- Medal of the National Assembly of Quebec, February 2015
- Montreal Gazette’s 20 hottest, most fabulous, glamourous and best-dressed Montrealers of the year 2014!
- Tribute from the Consulate General of Haiti in Montreal – 2014
- 2010 Black History Month award winner in Montreal,
- Plaque of honour in 2009 from the Ministère de la Culture et de la Condition féminine (ministry of culture and the status of women) in Haiti for her efforts to promote Haitian culture in Canada,
- Ticket dor (golden ticket) for best actress in Haiti for the film Barikad in 2002,
- Crowned Miss Haiti in 2000
Causes and initiatives
May 29, 2014 : Attending the Fondation Paul Gérin-Lajoie fundraising evening. The Fondation Paul Gérin-Lajoie is dedicated to education for all and helps schools in developing countries.
May 16, 2014 : Attending the Montreal Community Care Awards Gala that recognizes individuals making a difference in their communities.
May 13, 2014 : Facilitator and spokesperson for the launch of 1,2,3 Action an organization fighting against the sexual abuse of children.
May 3, 2014 : Panelist at the Montreal Community Care Foundations Girls Action Empower Us day for teenage girls from disadvantaged backgrounds. A full day of workshops and activities aimed at building the confidence, life skills and academic success of Montreal teenage girls.
April 27, 2014 : Participates in presenting the film “La dérive douce dun enfant de Petit-Goâve by Pedro Ruiz at Montreals Haitian Diaspora Day and leads the discussion with the films director, Mr. Ruiz, and the star of the film, Dany Laferrière.
January-February 2014 : Guest of honour and panelist at the Guadeloupe Regional and International Film Festival (FEMI) speaking about cultural philanthropy and the representation of Caribbean films in Canada.
December 2013 : Participation in the International Film Festival Summit (IFFS) in Austin, Texas as a representative of the Montreal International Black Film Festival and the Toronto Black Film Festival.
September 21, 2013 : Organizes a major Haitian evening as part of the Montreal International Black Film Festival, benefiting the Centre Culturel Haïtien La Perle Retrouvée in the St-Michel borough of Montreal.
Boards of directors and juries
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Society for the Celebration of Montreals 375th Anniversary
- Nomination jury for the 2014 Prix Gémeaux
- 2010 jury for the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec (Quebec Council for the Arts) (Prix vivacité Montréal)
- President and Founder of the Fabienne Colas Foundation